Construction of the final abacus
- Balsa Wood;
- small PVC pipes;
- metal bars;
- web camera (Sony Playstation 3 Eye);
- white wide-angle LEDs
- 3V battery and holder;
* Cut PVC pipes (2 cm in height).
* This small rings will be the beads for the abacus.
* Covers for the "beads".
* As the cover is the same size as the pipe, it's hard to move the "beads" when they are close to one another.
* A bigger cover is used.
* A test with the camera to see if white beads work well with camera.
* Light is needed to reflect the white.
* Processing will now detect the white instead of the black beads.
* After try out with the program, more cutting for the beads.
* The new beads and the covers.
* For 7 vertical-column abacus, it needs 35 beads and 70 covers.
* Drill a hole in the middle of the cover for the metal bar to go through.
* 5 beads in every metal bar.
* Rough assembly to measure the height of the heaven and earth beads divider.
* Gluing the divider and cutting the metal bars to the designated height.
* The sides' bar to keep the abacus straight.
* Joining the sides and the top.
* LEDs at the bottom of the box (abacus will be placed at the top).
* Web camera placed at the bottom of the box.
* A door to make adjustments if needed.
* Finished box.
* Abacus placed on top.
* Camera, tracking the position of the beads.
* Abacus with light.
* Camera tracks the white beads.
* Does not work very well when it is under a spotlight.
* The final abacus (perspective back).